Hope you are having a good time in Singapore so far. This webpage is designed
with guests of the Betel Box Hostel in mind. Basically, its a list of links and short notes to get you off to a roaring
start. This is obviously a growing list and if you feel that other info
would be helpful to other guests, just
let us know. Feel free to sign
our guestbook to share your thoughts on the Betel Box and your Singapore
Betel Box Team
At the Hostel
- Contact address for post: Betel Box Asia Pte Ltd,
200 Joo Chiat Road, #02-02, Singapore 427471
- Public Phone number for incoming calls: (65) 62479130
- Nearest ATMs are at:
- Joo Chiat Complex
- I12 Katong Mall
- Nearest Money Changer:
- Joo Chiat Complex
- City Plaza
- Travellers Cheques:
- You can cash in your Travellers Cheques at most banks (not open
on Sunday) and some money changers (most don't)
(24hrs at airport, 9am-9pm everyday at Tangs
- Nearest Post Office:
- SingPost Centre across from Paya Lebar MRT (Open til 6pm on Sat,
4pm on Sun)
- Nearest Instant Passport Photo Studio:
- CCC Colourlink Colour Centre. Blk 10, #01-361, Haig Road. Next to
Haig Road Market. Takes 10mins to process.
- Nearest Medical Facilities:
- Dentist: Wan's Dentist. 272 Joo Chiat Road. Tel
63442572. Mon- Fri (9am-6.30pm), Sat (9am-5pm), Holiday (9am-12noon)
- GP/ Family Doctor: Changi Clinic.
848 Sims Ave
Tel No: 67428865. Mon - Fri: 0830 - 1230; 1400 - 1700.
Sat: 0830 - 1230.
Closed on Sun & Public Holidays.
- Pharmacies: 112 katong mall (Corner of East Coast Road and Joo Chiat Road)
Guardian #B1 – 07,
NTUC Unity #B1-08 (Opening hours 10 am – 10 pm)
- Cheap & interesting food places in our neighbourhood
- Indian: Duku Road Nasi Briyani & Roti Prata for 24 Hours Roti Prata S$1.20
for 2 plain
- Economical Chinese Rice Stall: Junction of Dunman Road and Joo
Chiat Road- S$2-3 for rice with veg, tofu and meat/ seafood. Open
- Chinese: Kim Choo Bak Chang on Joo Chiat Place- S$1.50 for large
- Chinese: Kims Place on Joo Chiat Place for Mee Goreng- S$4 for large
- Chinese: Fei Fei on Joo Chiat Place wonton noodles- S$4. Open 24hours
- Chinese Vegetarian: Just Greens on Joo Chiat Place- S$3. Selection
of 3 dishes with rice or noodles. Open til 10pm
- 24 Hour Shop & Save Supermarket at Junction of Koon Seng Road and Joo Chiat Road.
- Indian Muslim Bakery on Onan Road for fresh "Indian Curry
Puff" (looks like giant samosas)
- Malay: Nam San Otah Nasi Lemak S$2
- Malay: Hajjah Mona at Geylang Serai Market for Nasi Campur- rice
with veg, toufu, meats
- Malay: Otah Otah- minced seafood with spices wrapped in banana leaves
and barbequed. Nam San at 267 Joo Chiat Road. About S$1 per piece.
- Malay: Hjh Maimunah across from Joo Chiat Complex for Nasi Campur-
rice with veg, toufu, meats. Large selection of snacks and special
order dishes like longtong, mee goreng, mee soto, assam soup
- CMC Coffee Shop next to Holy Family Church for fresh kaya toast
and local versions of western pastries
- Peranakan: Laksa at Junction of Ceylon Road and East Coast Road-
- Ice Desserts: Ken's Delights- fantastic iced desserts. Must try
their Mango-Peach, Strawberry & Logan amd Mango-Lychee. About
S$2 per serving.
- Good Bars & Places to watch Football in our district
- 57 Chevy in Katong Village on East Coast Road. From age 17 to 77,
this is a locals hangout with 2 fantastic live bands. Cheap drinks
like Tiger for S$5 a glass. Open from 5pm and live band from 8.30pm
- Quentins in Eurasian
Community House. Run by the famous Eurasian Chef Quentins that used to operate on East Coast Road. Plenty of specials across the month, do checkout their website for the latest offers.
Eurasian specialties like Devil Curry and Lamb Stew is a must
try but ask also for their house specialties.
- Football at wee hours of the mornings? H.I.G.H.
Club is an internet cafe with a clubby twist. Large projection
screen cable tv screens live sport telecast and you can buy drinks
at the bar; all in air-conditioned comfort. Do remember to bring some
form of ID since this is a private club that requires membership.
Onward Travel from Singapore
Bahru Senai International Airport. Kuala
Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).
- Buses/ Coach- Transnasional, NiCe, Transtar,
Bus Agencies Association
- Closest Bus to Malacca is with Delima, just 15 mins walk away.
- Rail/ Train-
Malayan Railway KTMB,
Royal Thai Railway, Orient-Express, Seat61.com
- Budget Airlines- Firefly, AirAsia,
Express, Orient Thai,
nokair , Skymark, Virgin Blue, Scoot,
- Ferries- Bintan
Resort Ferries, Penguin
- Travel agents-
- Journey Malaysia, Backpacking Asia, and Travel Fishare fantastic travel resources on whats best to do and how to get there.
straight to the top